Friday, July 29, 2011

My Unexpected Summer


The night before my sweetie and I took our kids on a surprise vacation, I got my own surprise. It was midnight, we were getting up at 3:30 and I wanted to go to sleep. But I couldn't, because the honey was busy doing who knows what with the light on.

So I said to myself, breathe, relax, we're going on vacation. Think about something else. And that's when I decided to do a breast exam. I know, who does a breast exam before going on vacation? Me, I guess. And my surprise was that I found a lump - a big, fat, somewhat hard, lump. I made my sweetie stop what he was doing and come over to feel what I thought I was feeling. We both freaked. And then we decided to pretend nothing had happened. Because we knew that if we stopped everything to check it out, and there was bad news, then there would be all kinds of things to do, and we'd never go away the surprise vacation. One week in the grand scheme of things wouldn't matter. So we got up at 3:30 as planned, woke the kids at 4, went on the vacation and it was truly wonderful. And then I came back to reality.

I have an aggressive stage II breast cancer. In the last seven weeks, my life has completely changed. I strip for anyone. My boobs have been shown so many times that my kids are lucky I'm wearing a shirt. I'm bald and I keep forgetting about it. I am trying to keep my head covered in an effort not to scare small children (or myself, for that matter). It's not elegant or pretty. I have "folliculitis" aka nasty oozing itchy stuff on my scalp which I hope will be cleared up soon with my new potions from Dana Farber.

I have become a champ at taking uncomfortable tests. I thought I was a total wuss. Among the battery of tests I had to go through was an MRI. That's the thing where they shoot you into a tiny dark tunnel.

I really don't like closed in spaces. It's just a little paranoia left over from a summer spent getting stuck in the Brooklyn-Manhattan subway tunnel under the river in a hot, dark, packed subway car. But I'm a trooper when it's a good cause.

I made it through my first MRI by pretending I was having a gentle massage - pretty impressive considering that my boobs were forced down these crazy slots and there were incredibly loud electric sounds every few seconds. (Ok, in the middle I had to stop pretending I was getting a massage and instead imagine being a test subject in a crazy sci fi movie.) I made it through.

But then I had to have a second MRI - this time while lying on my back. Now I'm scared. One of the nurses suggested that I "take a little something" before the test. It would help me calm down. I thought that sounded like a fine idea, so grabbed the newly prescribed bottle on my way out of the house. I first go to my first test of the day, a second biopsy. Waiting with my coffee, it's time to take the happy pill prior to the MRI. I yank the pill bottle out of my bag, ready to get happy. And then I look more closely at the bottle. By mistake, I grabbed the dog's hormone replacement therapy! Cursed canines! They follow me everywhere. But what do you know - turned out they were happy pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment